Tuesday, June 30, 2009

garden treats

In early May we planted out little "garden." We planted these tomatoes. The plant is taller than me! I have a tomato cage around it, but I also had to tie it to the porch railing. It is quite the rigged up plant, but I had no choice. The tomatoes have finally started to ripen and that little beauty above was our first treat. 
We also planted a jalapeno plant. It has been producing like crazy for several weeks now. It is currently loaded with peppers. And they are particularly hot. For my green salsa I usually use two regular size peppers from the grocery store, but with this plant, I only have to use one small one and it is still hotter than the two from the store! Every time I cut into one, it takes my breath away.
We also planted some sunflowers, but they haven't decided to show their smiling faces just yet. The flower buds are just started to appear, so it shouldn't be too long before they are blooming. I also planted my first rose bush, but I keep forgetting to take pictures of the blooms. They only bloom one at a time, but they smell divine!
All this talk about my little garden reminds me that I need to go water it before our scorching heat appears. And then we are going to take a trip to the new pool at the park. Yay for summer!

5 comments:

mary anna said...

I can almost smell and feel the heat of the pepper. I can taste the tomatoe! We have had quiet a few tomatoes but they did not produce like last year. The plants are tall and "spindley". Good job with your "gardening"

Have fun at the pool.

sew nancy said...

I've been meaning to photograph our garden. Our peppers have not arrived and our tomatoes are still green. I also planted 2 rose bushes for the first time this year. The one you have looks lovely. I want to plant some more next year. Roses bushes are so pretty. I love their leaf structures as well.

My kids love the pool too.

kristi said...

my peppers haven't bloomed yet, and i have two tomatoes but one of them is rotting on the bottom. i read this is because of a calcium deficiency in the soil. do yours ever do that? of course i'm trying to grow them in pots, which might have something to do with it...

jalapenos! i never thought of growing those. i love salsa of any kind...yum...

and neighborhood pools are the BEST!

deborah said...

The peppers look so good. We picked tomatoes off our vine this week. It is so big. Hope you feeling better. Hugs to all.

Tina Leavy said...

inviting you over to my 500th post give away
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/2009/07/500th-post-giveaway-75-worth-of-awesome.html
~Tina
p.s. the tomato and peppers look so yum

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...