Friday, August 10, 2007

namesake



this past weekend, while i was visiting the family for my sister's suprise 40th birthday party, my mom and i took some time to go over to my granny's house. this quilt is one of the great items that i got that belonged to my granny. it was so weird to be there without her there. it still seems a bit surreal, but i am sure that that will change as time passes. i think one of the hardest things was that my mom took home one of my granny's house dresses and it still smells like her. and for some reason that made me so sad. sort of making the whole thing more surreal. as i said in my earlier post, words still seem to fail me to describe the loss of my granny. i almost feel strange writing about it, because it is so hard to put into words and to make those words belong.
i will mention something that i can't believe i have never mentioned before in this blog-how i chose the name bura ellen. my granny's name was bura and my grandma's (of grandpa and grandma) name is mary ellen. since these two women taught me the basics of cooking and sewing (and many other things about life), i decided to name my blog after them. so each time i write here, i think about both of them and how blessed i have been with two wonderful grandmothers.
my sincere hope is that you have experienced the same type of blessing.

1 comment:

Tina Leavy said...

I had a very wonderful grandmother..I still miss her terribly.hugs to you..it takes time to come to grips with the loss of a loved one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...