Tuesday, May 04, 2010

our little garden

We finally have a little bit of space for a garden. We usually have a container garden, but we expanded a bit this year. As for tomatoes, we usually just plant one cherry tomato plant, but this year we went with a few different varieties: Roma, Better Boy and German Johnson. We also had to have our jalapeno plant as well (gotta make salsa!) We also added zucchini, cucumbers and squash...
Everyone pitched in to help (someone Larkin managed to not get in front of the camera). Lucy loved laying the bricks around the edge...
Michael was quite proficient with the garden tools...
And Gypsy, well, was Gypsy...
So now we have a garden to go along with our existing strawberry plants, a little herb garden (oregano, lemon balm, lemon verbena, rosemary, mint and orange mint) and a beautiful fig tree...
I am looking forward to making fig preserves this year now that I have strawberry, blackberry and muscadine under my belt. Anybody else excited about their garden?

3 comments:

Stephanie Breuner said...

I should get crackin' on my little square foot garden, but having a baby and lots of rain and coldness put a damper on it. Hope everything sprouts and produces for you. Fig preserves sounds yummy!

girl on a roof said...

I'm exhausted by my garden right now. But when I can sit back and admire it, I will be excited. I am excited about making strawberry jam with you!

mary anna said...

The garden is lovely, but the "farmers" are awesome! Looks as thought there might also be some "masonry" genes passed on from Grandpa Jowers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...