Sunday, May 09, 2010

my mama

I took this picture of my mama last November. I have looked forward to posting it and writing about her. Those who know me know that I love my mama like crazy. While I think that I can be a decent writer, I find it difficult to write about my feelings for people. Card writing has never been my forte. I guess because many times I can't seem to find the words that truly communicate my feelings. That being said, I am going to try and express my love for my mama.

First of all, I know that she is going to fuss at me about posting this photo of her with no make-up and with the wind in her hair. But that is why I am posting it. Not because she will fuss at me, but because as soon as I saw this photo on my camera, I loved it. I think it represents her perfectly. She is beautiful and there are so many things that make her that way.

She is a retired social worker. I can remember growing up and seeing my mom interact with so many children in need. And one thing was always the same--they all adored her. And as her daughter, I was so proud. I would think. "These kids know what's up. They know how awesome she is. And she is mine! I am so lucky!" I now know that luck had nothing to do with it. I was (and am) blessed.

I can remember her joining in on all the silly clubs I would form for the two of us. My favorite? "The Dolls in Wonderland" club. We even had handwritten membership cards! And how she would sit in the floor with me almost every night and play board games or card games. And how she introduced me to the wonders of classic movies. Where do you think my love of Cary Grant comes from? Our favorite movie to watch together was Topper. We still call each other to talk about old movie stars and which classic movies are coming on television.

While we are on the subject of phone calls, I am not ashamed to admit that we talk no less than twice a day. And when we aren't talking about the children (because, come on, that is the best subject ever), or about television, we are probably talking about books and the library. We are even dorky enough to call each other just to say we are going to the library because we know that the other one will be excited. I love that she loves books and she passed that love to me at a very young age.

I also love how intensely she loves her family. Every single member. Everyone calls her for advice because she is such an amazing listener. We have always joked that it must be written on her forehead because complete strangers will strike up a conversation with her in public and before you know it they have confessed their darkest secret. OK, not really, but you would be surprised to know the things these people will talk to her about. It is like they know they are in a safe place.

She has always been my biggest cheerleader, believing in me even when I didn't. She celebrates even the smallest victories with me. And she prays for me. Do you know what it is like to know that someone prays for you every single day? Yeah, it is awesome to feel that love. That love that I have never doubted even for a second of my life. I've never had reason to. Her words and her actions have made sure of that. I know that I am loved and adored. And I thank God for blessing me with such an amazing mama.

And maybe so she won't fuss at me too much about the other photo, I'll post this one I took of her (with make-up and brushed hair) a couple of weeks ago when she was here for a visit...
I know I haven't exactly said how much I love her, but more why I love her. But, really, aren't they kinda the same? As cliche as it is, I love this woman more that words can say. She is my best friend. Happy Mother's Day Mama! I love you!

4 comments:

Stephanie Breuner said...

your mom's gonna cry when she reads this. I got teary eyed.

Happy Mother's day

LollyChops said...

awwww.. you got me with this one! I love my mom too and we talk all the time as well! Aren't moms amazing!!!!

kristi said...

what a great post! someday your kids are going to be saying this to you, my friend. xox

Anonymous said...

I really don't know how I found myself here , but I am grateful. I love what you have had and do say about your mama. I may be even older that she , but I still miss my mama. I lost her way too soon, but she is with me everyday...all of the gifts she gave only keep on keeping on.
Thank you for such beautiful words about your beautiful mama. Bless you both, ellen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...