Thursday, September 17, 2009

pecan pie

I have been craving pecan pie. Something about the signs of fall appearing gives me the urge to bake pies. And a few weeks ago when my mama brought a bag full of pecans straight from the orchard (there really is no better pecan) I decided it was time. I have made two pecan pies this week. Yes, two. Now before you judge me...the first was for a dinner at a friends house and I left the remains there. Well, the one slice I had for dessert that night did not satisfy, so I made another for us to have here at home. I'm not sure that was the best idea. I want to keep eating it! Rather than torture you with the lovely photo above, I am going to give you the recipe from my mama for what I consider the very best pecan pie in the world. (And it really does taste even better with the whole pecans on top.)

Mary Anna's Pecan Pie

Ingredients
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup pecans, chopped
pie shell
pecan halves for decoration

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine eggs, sugar, corn syrup and butter and mix well. Stir pecans into mixture and pour into pie shell.
3. Bake for 45-50 minutes. (What works for me is to bake it for 5o minutes, turn the oven off an leave the pie in the oven for four more minutes.)

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Marci said...

Yum! That makes me want one too! My mom makes them with chocolate chips in them too- even better for me! :) It does make it feel like fall....

sew nancy said...

that sounds and looks delicious

Elizabeth said...

I love making pies!! Sometimes more than eating them. That looks divine :) This summer I made a lot of fruit pies...but I sure can't wait to have pumpkin pie and apples ones too.

mary anna said...

I believe the "straight from the orchard" pecan is the secret! Yummy!

Janelle said...

...and by friend, she means ME!!! It was SO yummy and we are thankful that you left the remainder of the pie here. We polished it off rather quickly. It really was delightful. Thank you again for baking that pie. DELICIOUS!!!

Jessica said...

This will make an appearance around our house at Thanksgiving time for sure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...