Monday, February 23, 2009

dressed

I have been trying to post since this morning. The day quickly got away from me. But it did start quite peacefully with a cup of my favorite tea and this great book I picked up at the library last week. It is full of some great photos. This one is my favorite (of course, if you don't count the ones of Cary Grant)...
It is a still from The Pullman Bride in 1917. Now I really want to see the movie. If you follow that link you will see another photo of the cast members. You have to love the costumes. And seriously, where can I get a pair of those boots!

And while I am sort of on the subject of my local library (yeah, I know it is a stretch), I just have to say that in the past year I have fallen in love with the library all over again. I went every day as a child since my grandmother lived one block from the library and I stayed with her after school and during the summer. I didn't just visit the library. You see, my best friend's grandmother, who also lived a block from the library, was one of the librarians, so my friend and I would just hang out all day and read and nose around the library. It was amazing. I have been able to learn about so many things and through the power of imagination I have been able to visit so many magical places! I am so blessed that I was encouraged to read at such an early age. I can't really hang out at the library all day these days, but I do visit at least twice a week. And my mom and I actually call each other to talk about our library trips! She loves it as much as me!

Our library system has over 30 branches, so there are a lot of materials available. The closest branch is a little over a mile from our house and I usually have books and movies transferred there and then go and pick them up. This past week I finally ventured out to the Central library in downtown Atlanta. I am so smitten. The thing is at least four levels. I could so easily lose myself in there. Usually, I go to the bookstore or to Goodreads and find books that I want to read and then check them out at the library (it's free!), but it so much fun to just wander around and find all sorts of goodies. I picked up the 1931 French film, Le Million, and Michael and I loved it!

OK, so that is probably more than you ever wanted to know about my library habits, but I have just been so excited lately that I had to share. Use your local library!

3 comments:

Stephanie Breuner said...

I have the same library habits.

We are getting two new library buildings in the next year. One to replace the central library built in the 1960's -the one I always visited as a child and they are also replacing the teeny tiny branch that Ella and I visit each week. The new branch is going to be a slick modern building right next door to our community center where Kevin and I work out 4 days a week. I am excited. They are going to have a self-check out system. I wonder what that will be like. I don't really care for self-check out at Ikea or the grocery store. Not when I am wrangling the food onto the conveyor belt and keeping Ella from pulling stuff out of racks. Anyways, I understand your feelings about libraries.

mary anna said...

Love it, love it, love it!!! I am going to ours this am. So glad you taught me about the "hold" service on the Internet!

Annie B said...

that tea sounds FAB! I've never come across it before but I will be hunting for it now. One of my current favourites in rooiboos vanilla, try it if you haven't already.

have just rejoined my local library and am enjoying going there on Saturdays with the girls, something lovely about libraries...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...