Monday, March 10, 2008

rewarding

i posted about these guys back in december. it took several trips to my friend tania's studio to finish them. she brought them to me on the day of larkin's party. i am so happy with them. i had no idea what to expect from the final firing. i was worried that they would be streaky, but i managed to get good coverage. did i mention how much i love them? i also made this serving dish.
no, it is not for serving flowers, but i had to showcase the gorgeous ones that larkin picked out for me at the grocery the other night. he is so sweet. i think i may be hooked on the ceramics thing. i mean, i really enjoyed it. i hope tania will let me come and play again soon.
i am also happy to report that lucy's easter dress is almost complete. i can hardly wait to post pictures. the dress almost got the best of me today. i have put zippers in plenty of items, but for some reason i thought this one was going to kill me. i had to take it out several times. i had decided to just take it to my aunt to get her to help me with it (read do it for me). but, after a nice break from the zipper, i came back into the room and decided not to follow the directions, and instead do it my way (thanks, nancy). and what do you know...it worked! i believe the key was the hand-basting instead of machine basting of the zipper. hand work really is so very rewarding. so stay tuned for the finished product!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

your projects are great!!! i hope you DO make more things!

sewtakeahike said...

Hi Amy,
Your ceramics are great! Good job! As far as the zipper thing, I purchased an iron-on webbing that is very thin and in a roll (like ribbon) and I use this to "baste" my zippers down before I sew them. It's called Steam-A-Seam and it makes zipper installing so much easier!

Asti said...

The ceramics are fabulous - you are clever ! Looking forward to seeing the dress.....I'm going to make Maddie some this summer, but I'm nervous!

kristi said...

so you actually made these things on a pottery wheel? i have been dying to learn how to do that. this reminds me to try to sign up for a class in town. i LOVE that plate!

Stephanie Breuner said...

have you ever used the zipper tutorial on: http://www.greenkitchen.com/blog? The first time I ever put in a zipper I used it and it worked really well. I am sure you have put way more zippers in than me, but I thought you might enjoy taking a peek at it.

Love the ceramics. The platter is gorgeous. Kind of raku looking

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

oh man...now I really want to do ceramics again. that's it. I'm finding a workshop and signing up..

I am INSPIRED. your stuff is amazing!

erica said...

funny. i just finally posted something i started writing last week that included my fed-upness with zippers. you'll have to give me a lesson. i love teh gnomes and tray! i can see the little gnomes feeling right at home in your dining room.

Anonymous said...

Those are really lovely creations! So cute.

sew nancy said...

yeah!
i'm so glad the zipper worked out for you
i had a problem with zipper directions once and did it my way and it worked.
oh, and the ceramics are really nice as well

meg said...

beautiful work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...