Tuesday, March 08, 2011

books :: the library bag

I went to the library to pick up a book or two I had been wanting to check out concerning self-sufficiency and natural home remedies. Well, as it turns out, I got to the shelves and ended up with a lot more than I had planned. I just kept seeing titles that intrigued me. Here is a snippet of what I picked up.

Storey's Basic Country Skills :: This book has all sorts of information from plumbing (no thanks) to gardening (yes, please). There is a lot of information that I would never use, but it is still a lot of fun to read.

Mary Jane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook: For the Farmgirl in all of Us :: Considering myself a farmgirl, I have read some of this book before and I think it is full of practical information. As many of you know, I am a big fan of Mary Jane and I love that she is so excited to spread the farmgirl spirit.

Traditional Kitchen Wisdom :: I have to admit that I picked this one up because I thought it was pretty. And it turns out that it has some helpful info as well.

Natural Beauty Basics :: Having sensitive skin, I am always looking for natural products. I recently switched to washing my face with honey because my skin was going through a phase of disliking pretty much everything I put on it. Actually, everything. Someone recommended that I try washing my face with honey. And I have loved the result. I then decided to look into more recipes for natural products which led me to this book.

The House That Cleans Itself :: Honestly, who wouldn't be attracted by that title? I checked it out assuming that it would be useless, but I was quite pleased when I found it to have some very practical methods for getting (and keeping) your house in order. I have implemented some and it has made a big difference.

Honeybee: Lessons from an Accidental Beekeeper :: I have been researching beekeeping for a while because I would love to keep bees. I picked up a few books on the subject and thought this one looked quite interesting.

It seems that recently I have seen more and more self-sufficiency/country skills/home remedy books. Are there any that you have read or would recommend?

2 comments:

kristi said...

i wouldn't consider my skin necessarily sensitive (although maybe it is), but lately it has been going through breakout central, thanks to hormones. tell me more about the honey. what exactly do you do?

every book on this list looks interesting. i don't have any recommendations, but i do own the MJF one and this makes me want to pull it out and look through it again.

bees scare me, so i can't imagine keeping them. but it's a fascinating life...

Amy said...

I was breaking out, too. And my face would burn for a long time after washing it. The honey has helped a lot. Just wet your face and hands with warm water. When you put the honey in your hand it will just go very smoothly over your face and you just use it just like any other face wash. It washes off very easily. Apparently honey has antibacterial properties as well as its structure is such that it allows your skin to hold in moisture. Every few days I will add a bit of baking soda if I feel the need to exfoliate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...