Tuesday, July 06, 2010

quilting tip

I am working on a very fun quilt. And like a lot of quilts, you assemble the quilt blocks in rows and then sew the rows together. With this quilt, I would pick up a row and then forget which was the top and bottom before I even got to the sewing machine (I must have been very tired). This was made more stressful by the fact that I had to assemble it just like I had it laid out on the floor because there was one, and I mean only one, way to assemble it that did not involve two of the same fabrics being next to each other.

I started out by just placing pins in the tops of each of the rows so I would know which end was up, but then my problems continued. When I got to the sewing machine I would forget which row was the one to sew onto next (seriously, for some bizarre reason I was having a hard time focusing). So I came up with the idea to write numbers on the pins. That way I would know which end was the top of the row and which number row it was. I wish I had taken a photo to show you, but remember, I was having a hard time just sewing the thing together! Hopefully, you can picture it.

And here is the quilt top in progress...
I still need to buy border and backing fabric before I can finish the quilt. I hope to do that soon. I also had the goal of making a quilt for each of the kids' beds this summer, but the season already seems to be going by too quickly! It will be nothing short of a miracle if I get them made!

10 comments:

kristi said...

holy. cow. this is beautiful.

~Melinda said...

Beautiful top! And what a great idea for numbering the pins! Definitely going to try this (as I am sometimes forgetful, as well, even though my layout table is right beside my machine!) ;)

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Great tip! And the quilt looks lovely too!

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

Love the colors! I think it's quilting month - everyone is making one - including myself.

Amy said...

Mel, my table is right next to the sewing machine, too!

mary anna said...

I remember this fabric and pattern! It really is cheerful and pretty! Again, you make me proud!

Richele said...

Oh, gorgeous!

I'm afraid I'm a bit like Laura Ingalls in that sewing makes my fingers itch. Happily, my husband does all the sewing around here. He does the knitting as well - a very manly thing in Russia.

We do want to introduce quilting to the boys though. They should help their dad out.

Bethany said...

Gorgeous quilt!!! I have trouble focusing too and am always afraid I'll do something similar... next time I'll use your numbering trick. Be very proud you've accomplished one quilt... I have been trying to do one for over a year now!!!

kelly page deal said...

I love it! I want to see this quilt. I will have to show you the t-shirt quilt I made for Bran sometime... it's definitely not a proper quilt, but I am pretty proud of it and had so much fun making it, I want to make another one!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely quilt top! That's going to be quite beauty.

Also, way to go on making pickles! My tomato crop is getting the best of me already.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...